Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I.AM.CANADIAN!

Who is in need of a good laugh? =) Laughter IS the best medicine. I just had this flashback... my grandpa used to buy and collect every Reader's Digest (back home called Selecoes, see RD around the world), he had them going back to 1930's. I read them all while laying down in the infinite afternoons spent at Grannie's. There was this section in each issue called Laughter is the best medicine (Rir e' o melhor remedio), that was, and still is, the first thing that I read. But I digress.

While doing my blog runs today, or, as I like to call it, blog hopping, I came across a post about the I Am Canadian Molson beer commercial. I still remember when I saw that for the first time, I got a kick out of it and I still do after all this time.

But then I remembered another video, did some searching and found it. You should watch it, it's very funny. William Shatner, a Canadian actor best known for his role as Captain Kirk on the original Start Trek tv series, did a parody of the Molson commercial on the tv show Just For Laughs. Note that he says he drinks Labatt's, Molson's competitor. Just for Laughs (in French Juste pour rire) is a comedy festival held each year in Montreal, Quebec - which is where Molson is based. =)



Here's what he says:

I'm not a Starfleet commander, or T. J. Hooker. I don't live on Starship NCC-170... [some audience members say "1", Shatner says "whatever"], or own a phaser. I don't know anybody named Bones, Sulu, or Spock [picture of Dr. Benjamin Spock is shown on screen behind him]. And no, I've never had green alien sex, but I'm sure it'd be quite an evening. [Pomp and Circumstance begins playing.] I speak English and French, not Klingon! I drink Labatt's, not Romulan Ale! And when someone says to me 'live long and prosper', I seriously mean it when I say, 'get a life'. My doctor's name is not McCoy, it's Ginsberg [nude picture of Dr. Ginsberg shown on screen]. And tribbles were puppets, not real animals. PUPPETS! And when I speak, I never, ever talk like Every. Word. Is. Its. Own. Sentence. I live in California, but I was raised in Montreal. And I believe in Priceline.com, where you never have to pay full price for airline tickets, hotels, and car rentals! I've appeared on stage at Stratford, at Carnegie Hall, Albert Hall, and the Monkland Theatre in NDG. And, yes, I've gone where no man has gone before, but... I was in Mexico and her father gave me permission! My name is William Shatner, and I am Canadian!

Yes, we Canadians are funny people, I'll admit it. But do not push us too far.

Related articles:
* The French twist on "I am Canadian"
* I am Canadian Anthem (Arrogant Worms)
* Funny commercial making fun of Canada

All this talk about being Canadian and beer made me thirsty. =) Here's what we, Brazilian-Canadians, do to get a very cold beer - estupidamente gelada - during the winter:



..:: oops, it's Brahma! ::..

* personal note to someone who I know will recognize the above photo: Eloisaaaaa! Vc se lembra desse natal? ;)

1 comment:

  1. Eu morro de vontade de usar a minha sacada (que foi feita pra se colocar vasos de flores durnte o verao e nada mais) como porta bebidas no inverno. Ela fica cheinha dessa neve fofa, eu colocaria a minha coca zero ali muito feliz se o meu namorado nao insistisse que essa e' uma ma' ideia (a sacada da pra frente da casa, pega mal).

    ReplyDelete